Mike Philbin - new paintings - dichotomy series

Twenty years since I first complete the Gouache paintings series and I'm painting again - these first six (abstract, emotional, schematic) paintings are on white stretch canvas (with a border left clean along three edges) at the intimate scale of 18" by 14".





What's important for me in this hands-on gloves-off series is the exploration of how our educated environment-worldview is encouraged to interfere with our natural left-right brain-ness aka GED, the aim is to show how the schism or Grand Experiential Dichotomy tries to comes together.





Matt = push. Solo = pull. These are decorating terms that highlight the interferance boundary (where the colours collide) that is the origin of Creativity, Passion and Kinship: our own two-choice challenge of Custodian pattern recognition and life resolution.




I have two double-height four-colour projects in the works. I've chosen the contrasting tones and the 100cm by 50cm box canvases are on their way. I'll update once these next two are done...

Comments